Superfish is a bloatware software/adware pre-installed on some Lenovo laptops. These laptops were sold from September 2014 to February 2015.
Superfish is classified as adware as well as spyware. The software has the ability to break the HTTPS secure connection when your computer communicates with a website with HTTPS encryption. Its ability to produce self signed certificates could possibly allow a malicious third person to intercept SSL or TLS connections (Superfish-generated certificates are treated as legitimate by web browsers) thus giving said third person access to your personal information. Superfish also tracks user website traffic and begins showing ads related to what the user is viewing.
Affected Models Edit
SuperFish may have appeared on these Lenovo Notebook models:
- E-Series: E10-30
- Edge Series: Lenovo Edge 15
- Flex-Series: Flex2 14, Flex2 15, Flex2 14D, Flex2 15D, Flex2 Pro, Flex 10
- G-Series: G410, G510, G710, G40-30, G40-45, G40-70, G40-80, G50-30, G50-50, G50-45, G50-70, G50-80, G50-80Touch
- Miix-Series: Miix2 – 8, Miix2 – 10, Miix2 – 11, Miix 3 - 1030
- S-Series: S310, S410, S415, S415 Touch, S435, S20-30, S20-30 Touch, S40-70
- U-Series: U330P, U430P, U330 Touch, U430 Touch, U530 Touch
- Y-Series: Y430P, Y40-70, Y40-80, Y50-70, Y70-70
- Yoga-Series: Yoga2-11, Yoga2-13, Yoga2Pro-13, Yoga3 Pro
- Z-Series: Z40-70, Z40-75, Z50-70, Z50-75, Z70-80
There are several solutions pertaining to the removal of Superfish.
Most antivirus programs are capable of removal, but Lenovo has offered the solution with a Superfish Removal Tool designed specifically to remove the adware from the computer.