Mist is a parasitic virus on Microsoft Windows, created specifically for danooct1 for his Viewer-Made Malware series.
Whenever is run, it installs an infected driver which will help infect files. Then it checks the date to do the payload based on the day:
- On any day except on days when other payload occurs, it has a 1% chance to prevent a file from being opened.
- On April 18th, whenever files are saved, their contents will be overwritten and corrupted.
- On May 18th, it does the same as the first listed payload, but the chance has changed to 100%, making it impossible to open most files.
- On September 30th, it does the most deadly payload. It plays a chiptune song that plays in background. When the song ends, the computer immediately crashes with 0xDEADDEAD (MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH1), but the virus had changed it so all Blue Screen of Deaths are red. Whenever the computer is rebooted, the Master Boot Record is also overwritten to a rainbow scrolling video effect (known as "rain" by creator). An "easter egg" from the creator is that whenever your computer is booted to the video effect, pressing R will overwrite the MBR to a clean copy, and also prints a message below the process "And one more thing - I don't know if booting today is a good idea", as if the computer is booted on this same day, it will just repeat its payload.
- On December 15th, it leaks memory, causing everything to heavily slow down. The changes are best seen on a real computer.