Mist is a virus on Microsoft Windows.
Whenever is run, it installs an infected driver which will help infect files. Then it checks the date to do the payload based on the day:
- On any day except on days when other payload occurs, it has a 1% chance to prevent a file from being opened.
- On April 18th, whenever files are saved, their contents will be overwritten and corrupted.
- On May 18th, it does the same as the first listed payload, but the chance has changed to 100%, making it impossible to open most files.
- On September 30th, it does the most deadly payload. It plays a chiptune song that plays in background. When the song ends, the computer immediately crashes with 0xDEADDEAD, but the virus had changed it so all Blue Screen of Deaths are red. Whenever the computer is rebooted, the Master Boot Record is also overwritten to a rainbow scrolling video effect (known as "rain" by creator). An "easter egg" from the creator is that whenever your computer is booted to the video effect, pressing R will overwrite the MBR to a clean copy, and also prints a message below the process "And one more thing - I don't know if booting today is a good idea", as if the computer is booted on this same day, it will just repeat its payload.
- On December 15th, it leaks memory, causing everything to heavily slow down. The changes are best seen on a real computer.